Saturday, December 26, 2009

The Great American Christmas Dinner

Hello fellow bloggers,
So I have been writing crappy blogs since the last few times. Of Love Longing and Belonging, although sounds smart was a total downer. The fact was driven nay drilled into my head by the fact that I got just one comment that too from a complete stranger who was also a BIG loser. Sorry bro!
Well I suck. But I am still going to continue writing crappy stuff on my blog because WTF..its MY blog!! So bear with it. Anyway..for the newest post scroll down.

Christmas! The time of the year when everything looks like its straight out of wonderland or neverland or some other fairy talish land. And why not. There's snow which looks astonishing against the dark red and brown backgrounds of the houses on which it falls. There's music, frolic and lighting everywhere. So, Christmas makes me really mushy. (It has got nothing to do with Christ's birth)
This year I got invited for the Great American Christmas Dinner. It was awesome! It was everything I had ever dreamed of and more. You know how the dinner is depicted in English movies- a large family, the matriarch/patriarch, the lovable and loving granny or grandpa, the pets, the children of the family, the daughter-in-laws, the guests. Well they were all there. They were all dressed up for the occasion. There was a huge dinner table set for everyone who going to be attending. There was mistletoe and Holly. The grandly decorated X-Mas tree. Now all this may sound mundane to Americans, but for me it was amazing. It was one of the best Christmases I have had in years.
So anyway, there it was, the X-Mas tree strewn with presents wrapped wonderfully. The tree itself adorned in the best decorations. The reindeer and Santa in the porch, the aroma of the pie being baked in the oven. The feeling of oneness and togetherness floating in the air and the wine. It was really straight out of a fairy tale for me.
The best part of the whole evening was the exchange of presents. Everyone got a present, everyone criticized what they got. Everyone actually loved what they got-even if it was a pair of socks or undergarments because come on you always need them all. The sibling rivalry, the affection. It was all there. Just like it used to be for Diwali.
At the Great American Christmas Dinner, I realized we are no different. We are just people who need love to survive. We need family. We need that. I mean the Diwali dinner we had every year was no different than the Christmas dinner. Whether its USA or India or Afghanistan well maybe not Afghanistan, we celebrate different festivals yes, but what we really celebrate is Love, togetherness and affection. And that is the same everywhere. Throughout the world. Yes we all belong to different races, cultures. But we are the same essentially. We are all just Humans.
Sigh!

1 comment:

Mancy said...

Thanks for the comment..But I cant read your name..